The following has been submitted by Abrar al Haq, a young Bradfordian. It is the first in a series of posts that will focus on educational standards in Bradford.
Reasons in favour of public schooling
1. Children who receive a one-on-one home education will learn more than others, giving them an unfair advantage in the marketplace—this is undemocratic.
2. Most parents were educated in the under-funded public school system, and so are not smart enough to home educate their own children.
3. How can children learn to defend themselves unless they have to fight off bullies on a daily basis?
4. Ridicule from other children is important to the socialization process.
5. Children in public schools can get more practice “Saying No” to drugs, cigarettes and alcohol.
6. Fluorescent lighting may have significant health benefits.
7. Publicly asking permission to go to the bathroom teaches young people their place in society.
8. The fashion industry depends upon the peer pressure that only public schools can generate.
9. Public schools foster cultural literacy, passing on important traditions like the singing of “Jingle Bells, Batman smells, Robin laid an egg...”
10. Home educated children may not learn important office career skills, like how to sit still for six hours continuously.
11. Children have an innate desire to learn, only schools can 'teach' them how to suppress it.Commentary by SoulRiser on November 27, 2009 @ 7:50 PM