RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blatant Localism
Doc Johnson Offline
Fanatic

Given 4 thank(s) in 2 post(s)
Blatant Localism

Today, I made a visit to the Misled Youth website. It's been awhile. They've been around for a long time and have gone through a lot of changes over there. I wish them the best of luck with what they're doing, but I don't see participating there much, partly because of how they are going about their business. Now it sounds like I'm talking about them doing something wrong, but I'm not. They are doing something incredibly right. They are accompanying their online work with local community involvement. They conduct workshops, promote all ages music venues and art shows, and, being based in NYC, make a lot of their stuff very NYC-oriented. More here: http://www.misled-youth.org

Here, where I live, in Georgia, I see this happening mostly with music. We have a all-ages club here called Sector 7G. I go there for the punk shows. In Atlanta (one of its suburbs, at least) is a all-ages club called The Treehouse. I'm going to be going to film a punk festival there in February. Seven bands, seven bucks. http://www.myspace.com/ratlantapunkfest

In each of the cases I'm talking about, young people are using web-based communities (Misled Youth, MySpace, etc.) to support locally-based efforts. They supplement their online communication with locally-based cultural efforts. I think this is significant, and have begun to wonder to what extent that School Survival, a broad-based, more transnational coalition of students and allies, can support locally-based cultural production and youth activism.

At the same time, a lot of the stuff I'm talking about is enabled by the existence of a large city or at least a decent sized suburb. In rural or otherwise more remote areas, this would obviously be harder. Nonetheless, how could SS manifest itself in the material world, culturally, politically, or otherwise?

Any thoughts on this?

I got nothin'.
01-15-2008 12:48 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

I guess we'd first need more members who live nearby to each other. Or we could approach it sort of like how NYRA does, with regional chapters and such. I don't know much about what they do though...

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
01-15-2008 06:14 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Eidolon Away
Fanatic

Given 37 thank(s) in 25 post(s)

I was in a beginning NYRA chapter for a while, but eventually they just stopped contacting me about meetings.

I'm not sure if the chapter failed or if they just didn't like me. Shrug

Anyways, the plan was to write letters to local office-holders and maybe organize a few rallies. Nothing of the sort ever happened because we only had about 5 members, and none of us took action.
01-15-2008 07:08 AM
Unregistered

Given thank(s) in post(s)

I've been thinking about this for a while.

One thing I pointed out while on IRC one day is that SS is very disconnected from the world. There are all sorts of organizations and people that have similar interests to ours but know nothing of this site. I've also suggested that RATS be reincarnated and spun off into a separate site so there can be a repository of these resources.

I've also suggested that as a small starting step into the real world, we could help fund the building of a school in China or Africa through UNICEF or another organization. It might seem paradoxical that we do that but from what I've seen, School Survival is pro-education. We think schools in the West are only one path for education with unschooling being another (of course they are not mutually exclusive, there can be a combination of both.) In areas of extreme poverty, they are technically unschooled but the quality of education is far worse than here. We have libraries, the Internet, and spare time with which to learn. In the areas where those schools are being built, they have nothing of the sort. But it's only my personal opinion that School Survival should be focused on education as a whole as well as student rights so I won't force that on others.

Meeting each other is a big step. We have yet to figure out what's happening in 2009, but I may be seeing a couple members this year. Chapters are a good idea but we need more people first of all. The real members are very spread out. By real members I mean the 15-30 (guesstimate) people that are involved here on a regular basis and are expected to be involved here. (I come and go with various moods but I'm not abandoning SS.)
01-16-2008 04:07 AM
Quote this message in a reply
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

The other side of the coin is that people who come across some site, and then realize it's just there to support some local or regional thing... and they live nowhere nearby, well, they tend to feel kinda left out. I'm not saying we shouldn't do this, just that we shouldn't let it take over from the site in any way.

As for the raising money idea... we could have some sort of simple game (like http://www.freerice.com) where we raise money to send to whichever cause we pick. It probably won't raise a whole lot though.

Quote:Chapters are a good idea but we need more people first of all.

Chapters can also be a way to get more people 'cause it gives people an excuse to talk about it Smile

Edit:
I've also been thinking about stuff like t-shirts... stuff people can wear that also has a side effect of spreading the message a bit. If anyone ever feels like opening an anti-school shirts store on a corner somewhere... let me know Razz
Imagine that. An actual store with anti-school stuff in it. That'd get attacked by angry mobs for sure Laugh

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer

Hidden stuff:
01-16-2008 05:42 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
amizon Offline
Revolutionary

Given 4 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

I'd be somewhat interested in developing a graphic for a cafepress account, possibly. Mostly I'd just love to wear a shirt that says "F*** YOU ALL" on the last day of school.. with a graphic on the back "www.school-survival.net" lol.

Afterthought: I wonder if there's like a youth libeartion WebRing or something like that. Get us more ppl at least and encourage ppl here to broaden their horizons Smile

katie///amizon
its snaky acids kiss
it petrifies the will
these are the isolate, slow faults
that kill, that kill, that kill

Elm - Sylvia Plath
01-16-2008 05:43 PM
Vatman Offline
Foreplay in Ink

Given 98 thank(s) in 67 post(s)

The way I look at it, localisim can only be interpreted in the literal sense. And the tragic flaw of this issue is that most of our members are not allowed or able to attend any sort of convention-like meeting. So yea....hate to say it, but until we all "grow up" or get a rather wealthy sponsor, we can't simply throw ourselves into the cultural movement Doc suggests.

Some cupid kills with arrows, some with traps.
01-17-2008 12:26 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Quote:I'd be somewhat interested in developing a graphic for a cafepress account, possibly. Mostly I'd just love to wear a shirt that says "F*** YOU ALL" on the last day of school.. with a graphic on the back "www.school-survival.net" lol.

Well, we do have a cafepress account... though I don't think it gets used a whole lot. I'd like to change that though... and everything that's available there will be available to download as well, for people who can print their own shirts.

Quote:Afterthought: I wonder if there's like a youth libeartion WebRing or something like that. Get us more ppl at least and encourage ppl here to broaden their horizons Smile

Hmm. There are a lot of webrings, and SS is a member of so many I don't even know what they all are anymore... webrings don't tend to bring many people here though.

Hidden stuff:
01-17-2008 02:41 AM
Doc Johnson Offline
Fanatic

Vatman Wrote:The way I look at it, localisim can only be interpreted in the literal sense. And the tragic flaw of this issue is that most of our members are not allowed or able to attend any sort of convention-like meeting. So yea....hate to say it, but until we all "grow up" or get a rather wealthy sponsor, we can't simply throw ourselves into the cultural movement Doc suggests.

I'm not really saying that it needs to be a part of a larger effort. What are people doing in their own communities with like-minded individuals is more what I meant.

I got nothin'.
01-17-2008 08:03 AM
amizon Offline
Revolutionary

Well I pretty much just got shut down all around. Laugh

katie///amizon
its snaky acids kiss
it petrifies the will

Elm - Sylvia Plath
01-17-2008 09:59 AM
Liquid Offline
poison - do not drink

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

Vatman Wrote:The way I look at it, localisim can only be interpreted in the literal sense. And the tragic flaw of this issue is that most of our members are not allowed or able to attend any sort of convention-like meeting.

The school buildings themselves can be used to give us places to meet on a local scale, there are always empty rooms and it would help people get the "parasite" mentality. The schools like having clubs and a lot of the time they don't check up on them... It's easy enough to start a fake "Help in Math Club" They'll give the club some room access and you might even get a few walk-ins...

//

[Image: techhoops5.jpg]
01-18-2008 04:57 AM
amizon Offline
Revolutionary

I actually had a talk with my school's principal recently about starting a club (politics--except I decided I was way too busy). He basically said he obviously can't prevent ppl from grouping, but you have to fill out all this paperwork if you want a certified, school-sponsored club that a teacher supervises and works with and stuff. If we just want to meet un-certified in some classroom there has to be a teacher at least keeping an eye on us, but on their own "time". I'd assume it's generally the same in most places. But good luck getting a teacher to help you out!

katie///amizon
its snaky acids kiss
it petrifies the will

Elm - Sylvia Plath
01-18-2008 12:38 PM
Doc Johnson Offline
Fanatic

Where I live, various shady "churches" are able to use the schools when they are not in session. This annoys me to no end. I hope they charge them some serious rent and don't just subsidize religion with my tax dollars. That being the case, there should not be any obstacle to using the school. I suppose it would have to be a bit more low-key than meeting in someone's basement, and should not involve significant destruction of property. Laugh

I got nothin'.
01-22-2008 01:40 AM
Darthmat Offline
Fanatic

Given 41 thank(s) in 35 post(s)

VIVA LA REZISTANCE!

I highly suggest Mobb Deep's albums The Infamous and Hell on Earth, if you have not listened to it yet.
01-22-2008 01:49 AM